Friday, January 23, 2009

Psalm 39

Scripture
Psalm 39
verse 4 Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.

Observation
Life is short, we never know when our time is up. As I sit here reflecting on this I remember a job that I had. I was the only one who knew how to do some aspects of my job and I continually told my boss. "You need to know how to do this too, what would you do if I got hit by a bus tomorrow!" Of course if that had happened they would have figured it out, but the point was that who knows what tomorrow could bring.

I was also thinking about this topic when I was programming my new cell phone. I had read an email recently that suggested you put ICE numbers into your cell phone (ICE is In Case of Emergency). That way if something happens to you and you have your phone with you, the rescuers/police will know who to call, rather than guessing which number to call. Anyways, I did this in my phone, but I went a step further. I added ICE-temp care for kids numbers. I was thinking, what if both me & hubby were hurt or worse but the kids are fine or not with us. Now they have several places to go to until family could get here.

Application
Okay, so those are a couple of practical tips that we can all benefit from, but what are we really doing with our time. Where is our main focus, where are the majority of our thoughts? Let's use our time wisely and do what Jesus tells us to do in Matthew 6:21 Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.

Prayer
Lord your glorious word speaks to my heart. Thank you for the reminder that life is short and we need to watch out where our focus is. Please help all of us to realize how our time should be prioritized so that we make worshipping you our life's goal and ambition.

1 comment:

Jane Anne said...

Thank you for your words and the verses. Thank you for the cell phone illustration. I had never thought about doing that.