Monday, January 26, 2009

Memory Monday



Joanne at The Simple Wife hosts Memory Monday. It is a great way to memorize scripture.

Last Monday, for my first Memory Monday I chose Psalm 23, let's see how I did...

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul, He leads me down the paths of righteousness for His names sake.

Yea though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil,
For you are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint me with oil, my cups overflows runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.



What is the difference between overflows and runs over? I think I did very well!! Except for punctuation, but I didn't correct that.

I wondered where to go next, what verses do I pick to memorize next. I struggled with the for quite awile, until I noticed my bookmark - the one I use everyday! It was given to me by a good friend, and until he gave it to me I had never heard of the Roman Road. It is simply the verses in Romans that lead us to salvation. I think that they are incredibly important to memorize because you never know when you will be speaking to someone that needs them!

The first is Romans 3:23 and I will add verse 24 to it as well. Oh and by the way, I usually use the NLT Bible - not that it is any better or worse than other translations, just happens to be the version I have as a study bible and the one I use for everyday reading.

Romans 3:23-24 For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard. Yet now God in his gracious kindness declares us not guilty. he has done this through Christ Jesus, who has freed us by taking away our sins.

5 comments:

Lora said...

Just stopping by from Memory Monday - I think you did very well! And I really like your blog layout and colors.

It's neat to hear how you were directed to your next verses to memorize.

Blessings to you!

Jane Anne said...

This is such an inspirational Monday meme. Thank you. I need to work on memorizing some scripture this week. Thanks for prompting me.

Peggy said...

Blessings Carrie and great job! The whole Psalm! Excellent!

I have to sing it to get it...and the version I know uses "my cup overflows". Now maybe they did that just for the song, who knows, I was going to check because I bet there is a version that says "overflow". We must be consistent in which version... I think flip flopping to another wouldn't work(lol). I do love Psalm 23! Great choice!

Also I agree with the Roman Road and having those verses ready. Two verse good plan! I love this meme!

Simply Sara said...

Happy Monday!
Good job on your memorization! Wow, I don't know if I could memorize such a long passage of scripture. You've inspired me to reach for more than I can currently do! :)

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Great job! So glad you're joining us.

I love the idea of the next verses you're memorizing--and it's so helpful to have it written on a pretty bookmark, I think! I'm all about cute verse cards!

And in the freezing temperatures we're having in Denver these past couple of days (after flip flops last week!), your blog makes me anxious for SPRING!

Joanne