Friday, January 23, 2009

Cardinals and BlueJays

Before moving here I had never seen a Cardinal and rarely seen BlueJay (maybe once or twice). I have been so thrilled to see them regulary, especially the Cardinals.

When we first moved into our house I found a cardinal nest in a tree above our deck. The baby bird was pretty big by then and unfortunately was not around long. I have been amazed at the vivid red of this bird, and how easily they are to see. Even driving 60miles an hour it is easy to spot them flying across the road.

I have enjoyed the BlueJays lately as well. There seems to be more of them in the last couple months so I wonder if they migrate? I started to wonder this when I started to see more Robins! I come from an area that decides it is spring when the Robins show up so it is very odd for me to see Robins in the middle of winter.

Anyway! In the last few days I have been trying to get photos of them. I finally got a great one of a Cardinal sitting on my deck. The BlueJays have been sneaky though - they are gone by the time I get the camera! The best I got was highly zoomed into a tree. I will keep trying though!




2 comments:

Penny said...

What beautiful pictures! Your photography skills are awesome!

I love watching birds from my window; it's just very peaceful.

Jane Anne said...

Those are wonderful pictures. Yesterday we had a whole bunch of birds land in our yard. The boys were sooo excited and they immediately opened the back door and screamed at the birds to scare them away. It was hilarious!
I love watching birds and it is special to me to see a Cardinal or Blue Jay.