Friday, February 6, 2009

My Husband Rocks - Promoted

Katy Lin hosts the weekly "My Husband Rocks". Normally she gives prompts to write about. I love that it really gets me thinking about all the wonderful things about my husband. This week she has some really great prompts, but I will not be following them. I have some news...

Yesterday we got the almost (not yet in writing) official word that hubby will be receiving a promotion! This is not a total shock, we have been expecting it for quite awhile now, but it always seems so much more real when you hear that he has to report in to the new duty station no later than July 1!

First of all, I have to say that I am incredibly proud of my husband and all he is accomplishing. We have been married for about 5 1/2 years and this is the second promotion he has received. I think it is impressive. My husband is very easy going and is not the kind of guy who jumps up and down screaming with excitement! He is incredibly humble about the whole thing but I do think he is secretly very excited about it.

So now, what does this mean for us? We were just transferred to Norfolk from California last June and were expecting to be here for 4 years. After being in southern California for 5 years and now with small kids we did not want to be anywhere near the city. We bought a house 50 miles from hubby's work and he commutes every day. We absolutley love it out here and if at all possible will never live in a city again.

But the new job in Baltimore is 250 miles from here, obviously too far to commute. We need to sell the house. There are a couple problems I see with that - the ecomony and the location. The economy speaks for itself. We live in one of the most rural counties of the state, so not alot of real estate transactions going on around here. The house we bought had been on the market for a year. Obviously we hope that with a much better realtor than they had, some reorganizing and some paint that we can sell faster than that! So step 1 - get the house ready to sell and put it on the market.

Step 2 - assuming that the house is not going to sell before the end of June, hubby will need a place to live. A place that we (me, kids, & pets) can spend alot of time at too. And it needs to be somewhat rural and relatively inexpensive - we are still paying a mortgage afterall! I looked online today and I think that with some looking we should be able to find something suitable.

Step 3 - make about a million lists! I will need to have two workable & livable households until the house sells. We are thinking that we will spend some time there with hubby and some time here alone or with him on some days off. I need lists to figure out what to move there, what to keep here, what to put in storage to make the house buyer friendly, blah blah blah...a bazillion things to think about and plan!

Step 4 - when the house sells we will need to find a more suitable place to live. But we don't need to worry about that just yet.

That's all I have for now! It will be stressful and add more chaos to our lives but in the end My Husband Rocks! He is and will be the rock of our family. I organize, he keeps me sane, it is a wonderful partnership.

5 comments:

Penny said...

That is so wonderful! I am so happy for you! Good luck selling the house! I hope it works out!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your husband on the promotion and to you as I'm sure you provide tons of support to enable him! Best wishes on all the changes coming up. It sounds like you're off to a good start with the initial plan you've come up with!

Jane Anne said...

Congratulations to you and your hubby on his promotion. Ok- you said, "duty station"- is he in the military? My husband was in the Army for 10 years. Anyway, congrats. I just said a prayer that you will have peace of mind as your prepare for all of the changes. I pray that the stress will not overwhelm you.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Congrats!

Simply Sara said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Hooray for you and your hubby. That's so exciting. I know the stress of moving with children. (We moved last February)
I'll be praying with you, for your home to sell and for you to find a beautiful new one that has everything you want and need it to have :)