Monday, February 9, 2009

1Corinthians 3

Scripture
1Corinthians 3
verse 1-2 Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn't talk to you as I would to mature Christians. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. 2 I had to feed you with milk and not with solid food, because you couldn't handle anything stronger.

Observation
The first time I read this passage I thought to myself 'no wonder I feel like I am struggling with all this, I am still a baby Christian!' Well, since then I have had some spirtual growth, I think I am now a preK Christian.

This passage has always stuck with me because for me it defines what we need to be doing - growing. Children grow mentally and physically at sometimes alarming rates, But soon the growth slows, but no matter what stage of life we are in, we are learning and growing. This is true for our spiritual growth as well.

As we grow spiritually what are we feeding to ourselves and what should we be consuming? Our spritual growth is very much influenced by what we allow into our daily lives.


Application
I did a search and found 4 Essentials to Spiritual Growth. It is very practical and as Christians we should at the very least be doing these things:

1. Read your Bible daily
2. Pray daily
3. Attend church services regularly
4. Get involved in a ministry group, such as youth ministry, missions, womens groups, or other ministries in your church


And to that I would also add Scripture Memorization. This is a habit that is very neglected in our culture, and it is one we need to pay more attention to. I have just started to memorize scripture and it is already blessing me greatly.


Prayer
Dear Lord, your work in our lives is amazing. Thank you for guiding me through spiritual growth, for the desire and the need to read your Word every day, for the wonderful church you brought us to, for the blessing of being more and more involved in the church, for answering so many prayers, and for giving me a passion to memorize scripture. I pray that you continue to work in my heart to make me aware of the things I need to change so that I may continue to grow closer to you.

1 comment:

Penny said...

You're so right about memorizing Scripture, which is one of the things I neglect. I really need to get on the ball with that.