Friday, February 6, 2009

1 Corinthians

I typically use the NLT study Bible for my daily readings and study. One of the things that I love about this Bible is the information provided at the beginning of each book. I never gave these pages much more than a quick glance, until now. It is really fascinating to understand who wrote it, who he wrote it to, and why.

Today I chose to start a study of 1Corinthians. No particular reason other than I thought it was the first Epistle, so I checked. I was wrong, so for everyone's benefit here is the breakdown of the New Testament.

Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John

History - Acts

Epistles written by Paul - Romans through Philemon (some argue Hebrews is also written by Paul)

Epistles by other Authors - Hebrews through Jude

Revelation of Christ to John

Okay, so there is your Lesson on the structure of the New Testament! Romans is the first Epistle, but I am not ready to tackle that book yet, so I will start with 1Corinthians. Most of today's information is coming from the book summary in my Bible, I certainly could not come up with most of it on my own!

Scripture
The Key Verse of this book is 1Corinthians 1:10 Now, dear brothers and sisters, I appeal to you by the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ to stop arguing among yourselves. Let there be real harmony so there won't be divisions in the church. I plead with you to be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.

Observation
I wondered why this was the key verse, it makes sense when you understand the outline of the book. This is the outline presented in my Bible:

A. Paul addresses church problems (1:1 - 6:20)

1. Divisions in the church
2. Disorder in the church

B. Paul answers church questions (7:1 - 16:24
1. Instruction on Christian marriage
2. Instruction on Christian freedom
3. Instruction on public worship
4. Instruction on resurrection

All of these topics would seem to lead back to or be solved by being "of one mind, united in thought and purpose"


Application
Just looking at the topics of this book it is easy to relate them to problems and issues we have today. The book of 1Corinthians is certainly as relevant today as it was when Paul wrote it. We need to pay careful attention to what he is instructing us to do.


Prayer
Lord, thank you for you glorious Word and for making it so relevant to our lives today. Please prepare my mind and heart so that I can have a much deeper understanding of the instruction and guidance given in this book.

No comments: