Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pasta & Veggies Recipe

This is a very easy meal to make and great for adding in frsh veggies to our diet, as I tend to use frozen more often. I have no idea how much of each veggie I add it is based on how much I have on hand and how much fits heaping into my large Corelle serving bowl.

I always use fresh veggies:
broccoli
carrots
mushrooms
red pepper
red onion
green onion
celery

I cut these up and put them into a large skillet with some oil and have this on medium to high heat and stir often. I don't like to overdo the veggies so my test is when I can just cut through a carrot easily - the hardness is gone but not the crispness??? Does that make sense? Next time I make it I will try to remember to time this stage.

While the veggies are cooking I start a large pot of water to boil. I add a half a package (about 8 oz) of pasta to the boiling water and cook for 7-9 minutes depending on the type of pasta.

Drain the pasta and add to the veggies (if timed right I usually have the pasta done about the same time as the veggies, but this took some trial and error).

Add half a jar of pasta sauce - I like Classico's Spicy Red Pepper.

Stir and serve.

Optional, if I find can find it on sale I add shrimp - yummy!!! I have been buying the packages of frozen cooked tail on. I simply defrost, remove the tails and add to the veggies, but I don't like them over cooked so I add them only long enough to have them heated.

No comments: