Saturday, December 26, 2009

THE WELL-BEHAVED CHILD Discipline that REALLY Works! by John Rosemond




The message of this book is really quite simple – use common sense to raise your children! This book takes us back to a parenting style that created well behaved and respectful children.
• Back fifty years before psychology messed up the common sense concept of parenting. And yes, John Rosemond is a psychologist.
• Back to when parents raised their children with the Bible as their guide, and yes, John Rosemond is a Christian.

My favorite lesson learned from this book is that it is perfectly ok, and even preferable to use the phrase “Because I said so!” This comes down to showing leadership, parents are the leaders of the home, and they are the authority. I need to speak as if I am in control and have confidence that when I speak my children will obey. If they do not there are consequences. Yes means yes and no means no – every single time!

My least favorite lesson in this book is that I am causing the chaos in my home! Yes, I did go back and read that page a couple times to make sure I was reading it correctly!!! It is my least favorite because it means that I have work to do! As I adjust my thinking, my reactions, and the way I discipline I am coming to understand more and more how important this book is for my family. And more importantly, how important the Bible is for me and my family.

My favorite quote is on Page 197 “Make Proverbs 22:6 Your Vision Statement. It is about your child’s character, not his achievements; manners, not skills. Besides, people of good character figure out how to share their gifts with the rest of us.” Our focus on developing character and good manners is increasing!

If you are a parent, you need to read this book. It is that simple!

I review for Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers
This book review has been prepared for
Thomas Nelson: Book Review Bloggers

1 comment:

Jodi aka One Blessed Mama said...

It sounds like a book I would love! I love Biblical parenting.

One thing that I have had my eyes opened to is that I need to say what I mean and mean what I say. No wishy washy language. It's ever Yes or No, not maybe when I know the answer will be no to avoid a fight.

Thanks for the great review!