There are some things that I only get when I am visiting my parents. Here are a few of them:
- my dad's fish fry (no one can fry fish like my dad, not even when he makes the coating for you)
- my mom's cinnamon swirls (of course I could make these myself, but it just isn't the same - I have had one for breakfast nearly every day we have been here)
- cabbage rolls and perogies (for some reason we have not had perogies yet, I must discuss this with my mother in the morning!)
- Saskatoon berries,, with cream or in a pie -yum yum
- fresh veggies from the garden (I haven't been able to have my own garden yet - maybe next year), especially peas (we shelled and ate a whole bucketful!)
It is so much fun to come home and have all these treats, and even more fun to pass them on to our kids! Here are some photos of Carlee picking Saskatoon berries and their first taste of cabbage rolls - Ben loved them, Sam spit them out, and Carlee wouldn't try them after watching Sam! Haha maybe we will be lucky enough to have perogies this trip and those will go over better!